Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Re-purpose: Big Sweater To Sweater Dress...


  Or Sweater Shirt! I found a great hammy down sweater I had that would make a perfect little dress for my 3 yr old..but instead became a shirt for my 7 yr old. This one is quite simple and fast.  I love to re- purpose! It is fun and useful..nothing just sits or wastes!
There is also a great tutorial by MADE in re-purposing a sweater from big to little.

Here is what the sweater looked like before it had a makeover!
Here is the sweater after the makeover!
 Materials Needed:  old sweater, sewing machine, thread, scissors, optional: serger
1. Find some armholes that you like on a little shirt or dress. Lay the shirt or dress of choice on the old sweater. Match it at the top where the shoulders attach to the neck hole. The sweater I used had a small neck hole so I didn't have to cut it to make a smaller neck for the new sweater dress. If your neck on the big sweater is too large to make the smaller neck,  follow the tutorial for cutting the neck out and making it smaller by MADE
 2. Cut around the armholes. About 1/2" from the dress armhole. Do the same on other side.
 3. I cut straight down by the following the bodice.  Continue straight or at slight angle, depending on your preference of the shape of the dress. I cut at a slight angle all the way down. I then adjusted it to have more of an A-Line shape.  Make sure to cut the very bottom straight up and not at an angle..This will prevent the visibility of the seam when finished..I know from experience. :)
 4. Fold dress in half and cut other side to match. Should have a dress that is connected at the shoulders.
 5. There may be an easier way to do the sleeve, especially if you have the knowledge of a true sewer..but I just cut..and it worked. To make little sleeves, lay the big sweater sleeve under the dress armhole at an angle.  Make sure you fit it where the dress armholes don't go off the edge.  If you lay the sleeve straight you will notice the dress armholes go off the sleeve. With sleeve at angle and dress edges on big sleeve, cut out your sleeve.
  6. Lay small sleeve on the bottom of the 2nd big sleeve and use it as pattern..Cut the second sleeve.
 7. To help prevent against unraveling serge around the raw edges of dress. (Don't serge or sew dress together, just  serge or sew the raw edges.) Cutting barely, if any off.  If you don't have a serger, sew a zigzag stitch on the edge around the raw edges of the dress.  Do the same with the sleeves.
 8. All ready to sew together! Pin the sides of the dress and sew them together 1/2" from edge.
 9. Put the sleeve inside of the armhole so right sides are together. Pin at bottom or armpit first to make it line up right and seams match. Pin the rest of sleeve.  Sew around the sleeve 1/2" from the edge. Do same to other sleeve.  Last picture shows the dress finished, wrong side out. 
 The dress was originally for my 3 yr old, but I preferred it as a long shirt for my 7 yr old.  She liked it much more than my 3 yr old and I like it better for her too!  Now that old sweater in the closet will be like new! It will get worn, used and loved!!  

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I am a HUGE fan of repurposing so love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so cute! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a sewing machine so I can try this out!! I showed Silvia Your project and she wants me to do it!! You always amaze me with your talents! I <3 U

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job, Sweetheart! YOU are soo creative and talented! I love it! Love you too! :-) Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...